“Seabrook: Oasis at the Edge of the Rainforest”

The Olympic National Park in Washington state is recognized internationally as a biosphere reserve because it is home to one of the country’s few temperate rain forests. Here, the weather is extremely wet but boast a mild coastal climate which rarely sees winter frosts or summer temperatures above 80 degrees Fahrenheit (27 degrees Celsius). And at the edge of these rain forests, right along the Pacific coast, lies Seabrook – a planned beach town –  an oasis just beyond the rain. We spent the last days of the summer here where we enjoyed foggy and cool nights but warm and sunny days.

Seabrook currently has 170 homes, with more being built to reach the anticipated goal of 303 single-family homes in the course of the next several years.  There are a few year round residents at Seabrook, but most of the current homes are in their rental program.

Seabrook offers one-story cottages to three-story homes for rent.  While each home is similar to the other, they each pose their own set of charms.  All homes have a unique name, chosen by the owner.

Renting a home in Seabrook for a several days can be a small fortune. The prices vary depending on the house you rent and the time of year.  Luckily for us, Seabrook was an affordable luxury since we were invited to stay at a friend’s house.

Behind each home is an alley way with access to the garage.  These alleys are partially lined with oyster shells.  A quirky addition, but certainly adds a beach feel.

There are many ways to keep entertained in this little vacation town. A community fire pit is available for use to make s’mores.  An indoor pool is currently being built next to the community park. There are tennis courts, croquet field, and shuffleboard.  They even have a grocery store and small restaurant.

Each home comes with two bicycles, and more are available to borrow for free from the sales center. But before you ride off, make sure the brakes work! In our last stay at Seabrook, my friend and I almost had an unfortunate outcome on a tandem bike we borrowed that didn’t have working brakes.  We were rolling downhill towards the state highway with no way to stop. Fortunately, we survived. But none of the Seabrook staff even so much as said sorry, even after we told them about it. I’m still rather sore about this since it was a dangerous and serious situation.

Across the street from Seabrook is the Washington state coast on the vast Pacific ocean.  The coastline in Washington state is a rough and rugged one with a few stretches of fine sand beaches.  In these pockets of sandy beaches is an abundant of sea life, particularly shell-fish, which thrive in these frigid waters.

This sand dollar is already dead, but left behind a beautiful shell, which I took home with me.

Birds often flock near the waters to feed, just like these seagulls.

Winds off the Pacific ocean are powerful enough for great kite flying on the beach, especially after the sun has burned out the fog to reveal the blue sky.

The long days of summer are all but gone. But it was nice to spend its last days in this oasis with good friends.  Now comes months of what seems like perpetual gloom, not unlike the weather of the rain forests nearby.

If You Like This Article, You Might LIke These, Too:

North America, Permalink

Have Something to Say, Comment Here:

36 Responses to “Seabrook: Oasis at the Edge of the Rainforest”

1. RT @sichree23: I miss going here with my friends >>”Seabrook: Oasis at the Edge of the Rainforest” #Beach #Washington http://t.co/gNi5QPfCkU via @sichree23

2. Meagan says:

Makes me miss the pacific NW

3. Spencer says:

Looks like an awesome place. It certainly has a charming, almost exotic name.

4. Juan says:

Ohh I really like this one. When I was down in Chile I went the house of Pablo Neruda [an old dead communist that really knew how to write :) ] and it was so pretty and right next to the ocean. If you ever go down there I would really try to go to La Isla Negra and see his house, I think that you would like alot :)

• Sherry says:

Chile is one of my stops for my RTW trek, which is coming up. I’ll be sure to ask you more about it when I get closer to Chile and La Isla Negra. Sounds fascinating!

5. Sophie says:

Sounds – and looks – like a charming area. Autumn is in full swing here as well. I think it’s my favourite season – the warm colours, the wind, the sense of mystery in the air. And soon there’s winter – with candles in windows, fun and games in the gorgeous white snow…

• Sherry says:

I’d be fascinated to see all those candles in the windows. Norway always sounds so beautiful the way you speak of it. I imagine autumn would be a colorful and happy time there. I love the changing seasons.

6. Andrea says:

Wow – summer is over where you are? In Europe it’s still going with the warmest temperatures this time of year for over 100 years…I’m kind of ready to start taking my winter clothes out of my pack already, haha

7. Abby says:

What a charming town! I love the ocean shot. I grew up collecting sand dollars but hadn’t seen one in years. I’m spending my last days of summer trying to spend every weekend in peaceful towns like this one. Kismet!

• Sherry says:

It was my first time seeing a sand dollar. I didn’t even know what it was, at first. Now it has a place in my home. You sound like you have fun weekends ahead of you. I’m envious.

8. Cam says:

Great photo collection – I love the Pacific northwest!
    Sigh, summer is over… isn’t it? ;-(

9. Sherry, this was a great read but I’m truly mesmerized by that one photo of the flock of seagulls. What a memorable photo!

10. Wow. That black and white photo of the birds is so gorgeous. This looks like a really cool town. I can’t believe I have yet to make it to Washington.

• Sherry says:

I love the bird photo, too. I’m surprised you haven’t made it to WA. It should be on your list soon, especially as winter comes; we have lots of great slopes, here too.

11. Very cute town — and an even cuter beach!

12. Oh wow, this town is so cute! How great that you were able to stay in one of the houses! I am heading to Olympic in a couple of weeks – did you notice if there was any other (cheaper) accommodation in the town? Absolutely love your beach and shell picture. I am so excited about going to Olympic – it’s one of the highlights of this USA trip for me.

• Sherry says:

The Olympic Peninsula is a great place to explore. I love going there, too. In Seabrook, the first time I went, I rented a three-story home with a group of others. The last few times, including the most recent, we stayed at a friend’s house (her family bought the house). I do know they have one story, one bedroom cottages, too. And the prices drop significantly since its no longer summer. Rental of a house comes with a lot of extras from the town, so its worth the price, and you can’t beat being next to the ocean.

13. Maria says:

Colorful footstep indeed Sherry!
    Looks like a great little town and doable from Seattle as a weekend getaway. Smart detail to use those oyster shells in the garden – gotta love the reuse.

• Sherry says:

I do love their details from the shell lined alleys, to having a unique name for each house. Its a nice and easy getaway. And who doesn’t love colorful homes?

14. Angela says:

In Sardinia summer is towards the end, days are shorter, temperatures still warm(ish) but certainly not hot. Every year, when summer is over I’m always scared about the coming winter, nevertheless every year I realize that even winter goes by very quickly.. I definitely prefer summer time though :)

• Sherry says:

Sardinia sounds like paradise even during the winter time. I imagine though, that winter would be a relief, after those long and hot summer days. I prefer summer, too, especially in Washington. But I can safely say, I’m mostly a fan of cool (not cold) weather conditions.

15. Muza-chan says:

Great article, Sherry! :)

16. Aways wanted to spend some time there!
    Nice article and great pics!
    Maybe one day if I ever venture back to the USA.
    Thanks for the post, very informative!
    Cheers,
    John D. Wilson

• Sherry says:

Ah, and you should venture back to the states. Washington has to be one of your stops, if not for its quaint coastal towns, but for its varied natural beauty. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

17. Daniel Kaleb says:

Trackback:
    Featured in Vacation Mania Beach Edition
    9/26/11 Edition

18. Jorge says:

What a wonderful oasis this must be in the middle of no where surrounded by the rainforest. It sounds and looks like a beautiful place! Having said that, it surprises that the Seabrook staff didn’t provide any kind of customer service after that bike incident. No brakes – that’s scary and dangerous! The least they could’ve done was apologize. Very unfortunate and a law suit waiting to happen, if they don’t do anything about it. Glad you and your friend were not hurt. Loving yout photos, as always. That sand dollar intrigues me.

• Sherry says:

Yeah, I was VERY disappointed by the way Seabrook staff handled the bike situation. No one assumes that a bike they borrow out was not going to have brakes. A little apology would’ve gone a long way.

The sand dollar shell is now in my bathroom, next to my star fish shell – very pretty.

19. Very beautiful place, Sherry. Your photos really make it come alive. Love the houses, even the oyster shells in the alley. A really relaxing way to spend the last days of summer.

• Sherry says:

Thanks, Marcia. Its a nice little place to get away. The oyster shells, however cute, were a little hard to walk on before they became small bits (as they are now).